There is just something comforting about oatmeal. It warms the heart and soul. What’s better than a steaming bowl of oatmeal? Amish Baked Oatmeal. It’s quick, simple and versatile. You make the oatmeal the night before, stick it in the fridge to hang out and bake in the morning. This recipe freezes well. You can make two batches, bake one and freeze the other. Cook once and eat twice is the easiest way I know to do freezer cooking.
- 1/3 cup butter or ghee
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/4 salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups oatmeal (regular or quick- quick gives you more of a muffin texture)
- optional 1/2 to 1 cup fruit, blueberries are amazing in this, strawberries, raspberries, peaches etc.
- melt butter
- grease 1 1/2 quart baking dish and drop in eggs and beat well
- add brown sugar, baking powder, vanilla cinnamon/nutmeg and salt. Mix well (no lumps)
- whisk in butter and both measures of milk, then add oats (and fruit- optional).
- stir well and refrigerate overnight.
- bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-35 mins, or until set in the middle and top slightly brown.
- serve hot. It can be eaten as is or served with fruit, warm milk, honey, etc.
For more quick and simple recipes click here.
this recipe was adapted from the original found here