This recipe is easy to make and a great substitute for the prepacked ‘pockets’ you buy in stores. I will usually bake half of them for dinner and freeze the rest. These are a great idea for lunches because they are good at room temperature.
- 1 heaping cup of cooked shredded chicken – I buy bulk bags of frozen chicken tenders, I normally can get 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken from 4 to 5 tenders.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery or one stalk
- 1/3 cup diced carrots or one carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup of poaching liquid used to cook chicken
- Easy Pastry Dough
- Place chicken in enough water to cover, about 3 cups, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook thoroughly. Remove chicken, season with a dash of salt and pepper and continue to cook liquid until reduced by half. You should end up with 1 1/2 cups of liquid. If you have precooked chicken you may use 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth instead.
- To make filling- melt butter in a sauce pan and add chopped onion, celery and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes. Add flour and salt, stirring for 1 minute. Add Parmesan cheese and poaching liquid/broth. Stir until thickened. Add shredded chicken and sour cream. Remove from heat and refrigerate to cool
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter or line a baking sheet.
- Working with one dough disk at a time, on a floured surface roll out until 12″ round using a floured rolling pin. Cut out circles- I used a small bowl. Re-roll scraps of dough and cut remaining circles. Each disk of dough should give you 5 circles = 10 pies.
- On each circle add 1/4 cup of cooled filling to one side, wet the edges of the circle with water, fold the dough over to form a half circle. Seal the edges with a fork. Cut a small slit on top of the pie to vent.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
recipe was adapted from mad hungry