Cooking the pasta and kale in the tomatoes with some added water saves time and is a clever short cut with this recipe. We like this dish as a light lunch or side item. With only 5 ingredients it is full of vitamins and it’s cheap! This recipe should feed 4.
- The kale gives this meal loads of vitamins. One cup of kale contains 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C and 1020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of many minerals such as iron. Move over spinach, kale is a wonderful substitute in many recipes!
- The tomatoes are a good source of potassium as well as many vitamins such as A and C. Also, tomatoes are an inflammation fighting food. Inflammation causes many of our health problems.
- Cheese is a good source of calcium.
2 cups tri color pasta
1 cup water
1 14.5 can of Italian-style tomatoes undrained
3 packed cups of kale
1 cup of cheese – mozzarella, Parmesan and cheddar are all good choices
- In a medium sauce pan add undrained tomatoes, pasta and water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the pasta mixture is cooking prepare kale. Remove all leaves from the stems and place leaves in a large bowl filled with water to wash. Break kale leaves into smaller pieces (about the size of baby spinach leaves)
- After the pasta mixture has cooked for 8 minutes add half of the kale, stir, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the kale wilts. Then add remaining kale, stir, cover and cook until wilted.
- Serve topped with your choice of cheese(s)